Author: Jim Fernbank

Need computer help during the lockdown?

Do you need computer help during the lockdown? I can probably still help.

I can help with most computer problems either over the phone, and/or over the internet by screen sharing or remote access. (My rate for this is £1 per minute, except if you are already paying me a monthly fee for maintenance at £30 per device per month.)

I do not repair computer hardware faults, sorry: if there is nothing displayed on the screen, then I cannot help you.

If your internet connection fails, then first, please contact your Internet Service Provider to check that it is not a fault with your internet service.

If your computer fails to finish starting up, or fails to connect to the internet, then I might be able to collect it and take it away to fix the issue (London only), or if you contact me first to arrange an appointment then you can bring it to me.

Due to the risk of the new coronavirus, and the guidance from the UK government, I would only work inside your home or office in London (UK) if the work cannot be done remotely. I would need to wash my hands on arrival and leaving, and maintain social distancing of over 2 metres. If you wish, I can wear a face cover. I do not employ anyone else, so if you would need a 2nd visit, it would be by the same person (me). For a visit, my minimum fee would be £60.

I do not visit outside of London (UK).

I wish you good health.

Jim Fernbank

P.S. The UK Government’s information about the coronavirus is at

Update for 5 November 2020

If necessary, I am still allowed to visit your home or office for work. The relevant guidance published by the UK Government states:

“You can leave home for work purposes, or to provide voluntary or charitable services, where you cannot do this from home.”

“It can also include work in other people’s homes where necessary – for example, for nannies, cleaners or tradespeople.”

“Where it is necessary for you to work in other people’s homes – for example, for nannies, cleaners or tradespeople – you can do so.”

The new guidance is at: